Professor Lesser's Resource Page for Statistics Students
"Against All Odds" VIDEOS on PBS & at many libraries;
"points of departure" resources for Statistics Educators....
CHANCE database -- quantitative literacy materials for an intro prob/stat course
Statistics in the Curriculum -- Quantitative Literacy, K-12
AP Statistics or College Board -- an annotated list of links that include several for Advanced Placement statistics
Teaching Statistics -- a journal mainly for teachers of students aged 9 to 19.
Statistics Teacher Network newsletter
Journal of Statistics Education (JSE) -- The electronic refereed journal mainly for postsecondary teaching of statistics -- it's FREE!
ASA Publications -- JSE, American Statistician, CHANCE, STATS, ASA Conference proceedings
Technology Innovations in Statistics Education
CAUSE (Consortium for the Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education) --massive searchable database of LOTS of stuff!
Jessica Utts’ Seeing Through Statistics (resources include chapter quizzes to assess understanding)
Association of Statistics Education (IASE) --
Membership Info, Newsletters, Conferences, and more.
The IASE Statistical Education Research Group
Discussion Group Archives -- Searchable archives of statistics-related discussion groups.
ASA Section on Statistical Education
Information on the Stat Ed Section, Conferences, Workshops, Publications, Sites on Stats Ed, Data Archives, etc.
online textbook by Rice University's David Lane
collection of links
Math Forum Internet Resource Collection
Rice University Virtual Lab in Statistics
Cal Poly collection of resources
Globally Accessible Statistical Procedures
Ethics in Statistical Practice
Data sets for case studies from the Wiley book by Chatterjee et al
Duxbury site for statistical literacy related to the Utts book
Tools for Teaching and Assessing Statistical Inference -- instructional modules using simulation software to motivate concepts
Standards and Rubrics for an Introductory Statistics Course
classroom-tested set of rubrics for assessments that support two content standards that organize and drive the course
DISCUS interactive spreadsheet teaching software
University of Florida site
discussion group EDSTAT-L:
you can subscribe by sending email to
with the one-line message: subscribe edstat-l Firstname Lastname search the archives of the listserv
American Mathematical Society’s MathSci Online includes info from Current Index to Statistics and Index to Statistics and Probability.
collection of resources: http://galaxy.einet.net/galaxy/science/mathematicians/statistics.html
Journal of Statistical Software; software
some important readings:
* Getting the Best from Teaching Statistics
Larsen, Michael D. (2006) “Advice for New and Student Lecturers on Probability and Statistics.” Journal of Statistics Education, 14(1), http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v14n1/larsen.html
Thomas W. Rishel (2000) Teaching First: A Guide for New Mathematicians (MAA Notes #54)
Matt DeLong and Dale Winter (2002). Learning to Teach and Teaching to Learn Mathematics: Resources for Professional Development. (MAA Notes #57)
Moore (2000) Resources for Undergraduate Instructors Teaching
Statistics. (MAA Notes
Joan B. Garfield (2005). Innovations in Teaching Statistics. (MAA Notes 65)
• Teaching Statistics at its Best.
David Green (Ed.), Teaching Statistics Trust. (1994).
• Burrill, G. (1990) Implementing the Standards: Statistics and probability. Mathematics Teacher, 83(2), 113-118.
• Teaching Statistics and Probability, NCTM Yearbook(1981)
Resources for Undergraduate Statistics, Thomas Moore (2000; Mathematical Association of
• MAA Notes Vol. 52. Resources for Undergraduate Instructors Teaching Statistics. Thomas L. Moore, Ed. (2000),
• MAA Notes Vol. 26 Statistics for the Twenty-First Century.
• MAA Notes Vol. 21. Perspectives on Contemporary Statistics. David Hoaglin & David Moore, Eds. (1992)
• "Mathematics, Statistics and Teaching" article by George W. Cobb and David S. Moore in Nov. 1997 issue of
American Mathematical Monthly (Vol. 104, No. 9, pp. 801-823)
• The Assessment Challenge in Statistics Education. I. Gal and J. B. Garfield (Eds.). IOS Press. (1997).
• Ng, Vee Ming and Khoon Yoong Wong (November 1999). Using Simulation on the Internet to Teach Statistics. Mathematics Teacher, 92(8), 729-733.
• Garfield, J. & Ahlgren, A. (1988). Difficulties in learning basic concepts in probability and statistics: Implications for research.
• Shaughnessy, J.M. (1992). Research in probability and statistics: Reflections and directions. Chapter 19 in D.A. Grouws (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Mathematics Teaching and Learning. NY: Macmillan.
• link-filled annotated article: http://it.stlawu.edu/~rlock/10sites.html
The Best of Teaching Statistics, 1986 (free at: http://www.rsscse.org.uk/ts/bts/contents.html)
Getting The Best from Teaching Statistics, 2000 (free at: http://www.rsscse.org.uk/ts/gtb/contents.html)
Mathematics Activities for Teaching and Learning (11th ed., 2003), Barnard & Wheeler,
Internet applets http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/tools.html#pro
Spreadsheets (e.g., Microsoft Excel)
Stats software http://www.minitab.com/resources/tutorials/default.asp
Journal of Statistics Education http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/
Statistics Teacher Network http://www.amstat.org/education/stn/
Statistics Education Research Journal
Teaching Statistics http://www.rsscse.org.uk/ts/
Guidelines for Assessment and Instruction in Statistics Education Curriculum Framework: